Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?

Go down 
+15
Cia Klivian
Starwarsartist
Kayla
Bluesaber3
Pinksaber13
shaak ti
Amaranthine
Arda_Ancalima
jedispork
geek4God
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
Kellymarieskywalker
GeneralSnips
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
bbc_hates_me
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 6:02 pm

We started Animal Farm today, and it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. We had a little history lesson before we started it (we learned which people some of the characters represent, etc.). I'm not really into government or politics so it's not exactly my favorite thing we've read this year, but it's not terrible either.

The Great Gatsby sounds pretty good! I think I'm going to read it next year for school but I may read it before then so I can see the movie after I read it.
Back to top Go down
http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I finished Animal Farm, and it actually wasn't that bad. I mean, it's not my favorite book ever or anything, but it makes really good points and is well-written. This year we've read really good books for school Smile I ended up liking all of them, and even got some new favorites! Smile We read Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, Julius Caesar, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and Animal Farm.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 4:02 pm

I really liked THe Hound of the Baskervilles and To Kill A Mockingbird! Smile How is Of Mice and Men? What's it about?
Back to top Go down
http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:05 pm

I just finished City of Bones! I heard about it the same time as Divergent, and I got them together. They're very different. I was more excited to read Divergent, but I can say with certainty that Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is a much, much, much better novel.

The characters and world are stellar! Plot could use some...existence, but the writing was excellent and extremely absorbing. Very fun to read! Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Of Mice and Men is really good, but really sad. It's about these two guys during the Depression who travel around together looking for work, and they're trying to save up money to buy a farm and fulfill their dream. I'd recommend it, and it's a pretty quick read.

Mortal Instruments sounds really interesting!
Back to top Go down
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:02 am

I've finished City Of Bones and I got the next book to read but it sat on my desk as I pondered if I should read it. But I felt I shouldn't. So I am done with that series. One book was enough.

But now I'm reading Balance Point by Kathy Tyers. (one of the books from the New Jedi Order series!) I love Kathy Tyers so its great! And I'm also reading The Great Gatsby. Its kinda....odd right now. I'm really bad with reading comprehension so his style is confusing me a bit:/
Back to top Go down
http://princessfaithm.blogspot.com
jedispork

jedispork

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Have I talked about "A Man for All Seasons?" No? Okay. I read that book for English and it was absolutely fantastic. Very Happy It's a play by Robert Bolt, about St. Thomas More. And I think it's really a breath of fresh air because it's about a prominent religious figure, but it's not all preachy and religiousy. (Bolt says he's doesn't even consider himself properly Christian.) I loved it and I highly recommend it. (You might also want to watch the movie. Because the book was originally a play, it really doesn't deviate all that much, and each may help you to understand the other more.)
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm

G4G, did you feel spiritually attacked by the book or was it just not good? I get that with books sometime. :(
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I just finished the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Colour Out of Space" and it was incredible!!!!!! I would definitely recommend it, especially if you love sci-fi! It's lengthy for a short story, but still a pretty quick read, and it has a phenomenal build up to an awesome climax! Also, Lovecraft astounds me with his word choice! He knows just the perfect words to use to stir the right feelings. This story has definitely made it onto my favorites list!

I'm about to start The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I'm really excited about, even though I know nothing about it except that it's a sci-fi book, there's something with dolphins, and, of course, 42.
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, DSK, I added to my to-read list on Goodreads Smile

I hope you like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- I read it several years ago and I enjoyed it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I read it a really long time ago. Gosh, I must have been 11 or 12 XD I did not understand most of it, but I thought it was hilarious XD Still do!
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 8:35 am

I hope you enjoy it Shena! Smile

Thank you!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Amaranthine wrote:
G4G, did you feel spiritually attacked by the book or was it just not good? I get that with books sometime. :(

I had a discussion with my friend about like, how far is too far to go with things like entertainment. of course there will always be some things you cant avoid. there will always be language or violence or things like that. but how far are you willing to go?

that made me think and I realized that that book was totally against what I believe. its all witchcraft and wizards and spells. I didn't necessarily feel attacked but the bible says not to associate with things like that. Im glad I made that choice.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm glad you made that decision for yourself! That book did seem very heavy on the supernatural. I'm not as affected by stuff like that, but I'm MUCH more affected by violence/gore and stuff than most people
Back to top Go down
Pinksaber13

Pinksaber13

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:02 pm

I plan to read the City of Bones books sometime soon, and like Amaranthine, supernatural things don't bother me.

I believe if reading about another religion or the supernatural or whatever causes you to feel attacked, you might need to examine the strength of your faith anyways. Sealing yourself off from other beliefs won't do anything but foster narrow mindedness. You've got to see why those religions aren't your religion and how they're similar to your own.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Pink, I think you'd like it! I know you appreciate a good YA book with really strong writing. Like I said, it's one of those books that I wish I had written, especially at the end Smile

And sensitivity to the supernatural isn't really related to strength of faith, it's just one type of spiritual weakness that people have. Wink I don't believe by choosing not to read or pursue something that attacks your faith that you're sealing yourself off, there's just no reason to invite it in.

The supernatural is an arguing/stumbling point for a lot of Christians. We don't fear it because God has already defeated it, but we don't associate with it past our comfort points(which differ depending on people).
Back to top Go down
jedispork

jedispork

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Amaranthine wrote:
The supernatural is an arguing/stumbling point for a lot of Christians. We don't fear it because God has already defeated it, but we don't associate with it past our comfort points(which differ depending on people).

I think that was very nicely explained. Smile
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I definitely agree with Pink on this matter; though if you don't want to read/watch something, you don't have to.
However, I still don't plan on reading City of Bones, because of the whole disturbing thing going on with Clary and Jace(and I know what eventually happens, but it still creeps me out).

I'm currently reading the last of Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures(trilogy) and I've say they're okay- they have a nice writing style, but I prefer Crispin's Han Solo trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:02 pm

wait what happens o_________o

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Amaranthine wrote:
wait what happens o_________o

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

Yeah, I hated all that. No thank you. So I'm just reading Prince Caspian!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators
Rachel-is-a-Jedi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 10:54 am

Prince Caspian, yay! Very Happy I'm reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm currently reading Oblivion, the last book in the Gatekeepers/Power of Five series which I've been waiting for years to get! Very Happy (since the book got released very recently)
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:50 pm

That's awesome Shena! Very Happy I hope you enjoy it! Smile

I'm reading a book about screenwriting, and it's very interesting! I don't really want to be a screenwriter (I prefer cinematographer, director, or editor), but it caught my attention and I thought it would be good just to educate myself about screenwriting because it will help me with movies and storytelling in general. I've already learned so much!
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks DSK! Very Happy I'm enjoying it so far Very Happy

That's really cool, DSK, I'm glad you are learning a lot about that sort of thing. And I agree, it is definitely important to learn about all aspects on film-making.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next