Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?

Go down 
+15
Cia Klivian
Starwarsartist
Kayla
Bluesaber3
Pinksaber13
shaak ti
Amaranthine
Arda_Ancalima
jedispork
geek4God
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
Kellymarieskywalker
GeneralSnips
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
bbc_hates_me
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
bbc_hates_me

bbc_hates_me

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Empty
PostSubject: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 pm

So I'm reading this book called Payback Time by Carl Deuker. The first half was amazing; I flew through it. Now I'm almost 3/4 through and everything's dying down. I'm looking for a new read. Any suggestions?

Read:

The Hunger Games
Percy Jackson
Artemis Fowl
Eragon
Matched
Alex Rider
(and others but not ones hat would fit in this category)
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/bbc_hates_me
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators
Rachel-is-a-Jedi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:30 am

Welcome to The Lakehouse! Very Happy

Well, if you like fantasy, I read a really neat Christian fantasy trilogy last month called The Berinfell Prophecies, by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher. It's about seven young teens on earth who discover that they're really elven lords from another world. It's currently my favorite book series. Smile
The titles are:
Curse of the Spider King
Venom and Song
The Tide of Unmaking

If you like the medieval setting, I'd also recommend the Kingdom Series and the Knights of Arrethtrae series by Chuck Black. The Kingdom Series is a biblical allegory and the Knights of Arrethtrae books take place within the world of the Kingdom Series but each follows the adventures of a different knight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
GeneralSnips

GeneralSnips

Location : Patrolling on the roofs of Coruscant with Robin finding clues to put Palps in jail

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

If your into Alex Rider then you might like the Gallagher Girl series.
And fantasy maybe Alanna: The First Adventure and the other three books that are in the series.
Back to top Go down
Kellymarieskywalker

Kellymarieskywalker

Location : The TARDIS, Naboo, Narnia or off saving the world with Captiain America

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree with Rachel, Wayne Thomas Batson is a really good author! As well as the Berinfel Prophecies, he has wrote The Door Within Trilogy (Titles: The Door Within, The Rise of the Wyrm Lord, and The Final Storm), the Pirate Adventures (Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire) and The Dark Sea Annals (Sword in the Stars and The Errant King). They're all super good...I'd have to say The Door Within trilogy is my favorite though:)
Happy reading!!

Back to top Go down
http://confessionsofageekyfangirl.blogspot.com/
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

One of my favorite series that I think you would like is the WondLa trilogy by Tony Diterlizzi! They're really good, it's kind of like classic fairytale meets science fiction! Only the first two are out, the first one is The Search for WondLa and the second one is A Hero for WondLa.

Another series you might like is the Skinjacker trilogy by Neal Shusterman. The first book is called Everlost. All three are very good! Most of that author's books are very good too!

I'd also recommend the classics Smile Personally, I read mostly classics these days. Some of my favorites are:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Last edited by DuchessSatineKenobi on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm

I concur with DSK, Harry Potter is a wonderful series and I think you'd love them. And yes, the classics are wonderful (I loved Les Miserables and To Kill a Mockingbird). As are the Neal Shusterman books.
Other classic novels I would recommend are anything by Tolkien(Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, etc,) The Secret Garden, I, Robot, Anne of Green Gables, and The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Since you like Alex Rider, I would definitely recommend the author's Gatekeepers(Power of Five) series; they are very awesome and I think you'd enjoy them.

Other books I'd recommend would be -
The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix
Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins (author of The Hunger Games trilogy)
Sea of Trolls trilogy by Nancy Farmer
Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness (there is a lot of cussing in the book, just so you know)
The Ender's series by Orson Scott Card
And pretty much any Star Wars book by Jude Watson, Matthew Stover, Kevin J. Anderson, Drew Karpyshyn, and some of Karen Miller. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators
Rachel-is-a-Jedi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Kellymarieskywalker wrote:
I agree with Rachel, Wayne Thomas Batson is a really good author! As well as the Berinfel Prophecies, he has wrote The Door Within Trilogy (Titles: The Door Within, The Rise of the Wyrm Lord, and The Final Storm), the Pirate Adventures (Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire) and The Dark Sea Annals (Sword in the Stars and The Errant King). They're all super good...I'd have to say The Door Within trilogy is my favorite though:)
Happy reading!!

The Door Within Trilogy was great! Very Happy I'm interested in reading the Dark Sea Annals... they sound really good.
Oh, and we have a topic for the Berinfell Prophecies, if you want to come talk about them with me! Smile I think my sister and I are the only ones on TLF who have read them besides you! XD
https://thelakehouse.forumotion.com/t914-the-berinfell-prophecies

I had another series to recommend... but I forgot which one it was before I could post it. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 am

Some of my favorite books are The Percy Jackson series, the Cape Refuge series (by Terri Blackstock) and of course, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis.
Back to top Go down
http://princessfaithm.blogspot.com
jedispork

jedispork

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

I love the Chronicles of Narnia!!! Also The Ballad of the White Horse, by G.K. Chesterton. It's really really good. It's poetry, but the stanzas follow a definite rhyme and rythym scheme, and the hardest part is Book I. I wouldn't give up on it at least until you've gotten to Book II. After that, if it's still difficult, I'd suggest putting it aside for a bit. But it's still really really good.

Another hard-to-read but extremely good book is Jane Eyre. I'd suggest waiting until about 16 to read it, since the content and form is a bit mature, but it's really good and will give you FEELS.

And the Fairytale Novels by Regina Doman are FANTASTIC. Between my mom and I, we have all of them. There are: The Shadow of the Bear, Black as Night, Waking Rose, Alex O'Donnell and the Fourty Cyberthieves, and The Midnight Dancers.
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Smile
I'm currently reading "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver and I'm enjoying it so far- she has a nice, beautifully-constructed, writing style that sort-of reminds me of my own in some ways. I'm also enjoying the lead character.
Back to top Go down
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm currently reading City Of Bones by Cassandra Claire:)
And I just finished Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. (Which was AWESOME!)
Back to top Go down
GeneralSnips

GeneralSnips

Location : Patrolling on the roofs of Coruscant with Robin finding clues to put Palps in jail

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Now I'm reading Tatooine Ghost which I'm loving!
And I just finished Alanna: The First Adventure.
Back to top Go down
Arda_Ancalima
VIP Member
VIP Member
Arda_Ancalima

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Good thread idea! Very Happy

I got Dark Water Rising by Marian Hale from the library the other day. So far just a chapter in but it's historical fiction so I doubt I'll dislike it. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://inwesternlands.blogspot.com/
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm reading so many books at the same time right now XD I keep getting distracted and starting new books XD

I started Maximum Ride like ages ago and really loved it, but had to put it down for some reason (can't remember why, school probably) and I'm planning on starting it again very soon Smile

I'm also reading the short story "The Colour Out of Space" by H.P. Lovecraft, which is amazing! I absolutely love his stories and would definitely recommend them! Especially "The Call of Cthulhu". His stories are very sci-fi with a little horror thrown in Very Happy Definitely my kind of stories Smile

I also started Matched but it was overdue so I had to take it back, but I really like what I've read of it!

And I'm also currently reading several comic books XD

We just finished Julius Caesar in school and I completely loved that book!!!!!!! It was so good!!!!! The ending was so sad, though! But it was so good!
Back to top Go down
geek4God

geek4God

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I have soooooo many books I need to read but the one I'm reading now is Insurgent by Veronica Roth. its ok, but its just boring right now. lol. but I need to get through it. But I'm waiting for Balance Point by Katie Tyre to come in from the library. (its the 5th or something book in the New Jedi Order series.) It needs to hurry up and get here.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Divergent has a lot of charm and adorbs, but I have to say it's very overrated. XD Which is sad, because it has an epic title/cover XD
Back to top Go down
http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm

I know how that feels Geek4god! I hope it gets more interesting soon Smile

I hate it when that happens Amaranthine Razz But I do love awesome covers.

I finished The Hound of the Baskervilles, and it was excellent Smile I really enjoyed it! I started The Fellowship of the Ring, which I am loving so far.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm

yay!

I'm "reading" The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Charles Dickens's Hard Times.
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm

I finished two books, Delirium and Beauty, recently and I really enjoyed both! Very Happy

Delirium had a really good main character and best friend(which is lacking in a lot of YA novels); the love interest was kind of bland, but he was a lot better than most, so all's good Smile I also loved the writing style, it was beautiful. The only problem I had with it was the fact that they had an ugly, bad character have acne scars on his face and the comment 'Are you allergic to life?' which I found offensive since I have acne and acne scarring and I have a lot of allergies and none of it is anyone's fault :/.

Beauty was wonderfully written and told the Beauty and the Beast in a perfect way(though I do prefer OUAT's version of the story, that one is the best). I loved the characterizations and the plot. Definitely a five star read Smile

I am currently reading Han Solo at Stars End and A Confusion of Princes

And I definitely agree, Divergent is very overrated.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles! Very Happy I loved that book when I read it, very exciting! Very Happy And I hope you enjoy The Fellowship of the Ring Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, I don't have much time to really read anymore, especially for pleasure. So, school-wise, the last book I read was "The Great Gatsby." Please-wise... um... I forgot the last book I read... at least the whole way through. I started reading "The Hobbit" at Christmastime, but I didn't finish. I also kinda started reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" before Christmas, but I didn't get very far. I have tons of books waiting for me to read, just not enough time to read them, and when I do have time, I forget that they are there.

Oh, I guess this is half-school-half-pleasure, but I read "Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto" and "Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America" by Mark R. Levin a while back. I won't go to any details because they are political books, but I quite enjoyed them.
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks Siri! Smile I agree with you about the comment about acne scarring. I find that very offensive too, since I also have problems with acne scarring and allergies.

I'm the same way allishmalli. How is The Great Gatsby? I've heard it's good.

We're about to read Animal Farm at school, and I'm not really looking forward to that Razz It sounds kind of weird.
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

The Great Gatsby is really good. From a literary perspective, it has tons of rhetorical stategies that help F. Scott Fitzgerald's argument about "The American Dream". From a entertainment perspective, it's very entertaining and engaging. I would read the book before watching the new movie. I haven't seen the movie yet (obviously since it hasn't come out yet), but it looks raunchier than the actual book.

I haven't read Animal Farm, but I heard that it's an allegory about the Russian Revolution. I would take that into account before reading it. Knowing that might make it less weird.
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I liked Animal Farm! ^J^ It was funny but really sad XD. I'm reading 1984 now.
Back to top Go down
shaak ti
VIP Member
VIP Member
shaak ti

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 pm

I loved Animal Farm and Great Gatsby! I'm excited for the movie, too.

Because I don't have a lot of free time to read what I want, I figure I might as well love the books I read for school. the Sherlock Holmes series are some of my favorites!
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks, glad you agree, DSK! Smile Very Happy

Animal Farm is an interesting read(though I do prefer 1984); it's a good allegory of Communist Russia, especially at the end, but it is a little weird(but the good kind). Smile

Same here, I don't have as much time to read as I used to :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?   What book are you are you currently reading/just finished? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you are you currently reading/just finished?
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next