Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody college age/applying to college?

Go down 
+18
Pinksaber13
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
jedispork
Asala Teron
Kayla
allishmalli
Duchess Satine Kenobi
futurejedigirl0202
Cia Klivian
AlynaJoe13
jedigirl1990
StarWarsForever
Leia Organa
Dancing with Anakin
Kat Kiele
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Amaranthine
sarahthegeek
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 am

I can definitly support moving ahead but I don't completly agree with skipping several grades one grade okay maybe but multiple no way for several reasons one being like DSK said they may not be mentally ready to handle it. Everybody in the class is older than they are and much more advanced then they are and it can get overwhelming. Also just because a studnet excels at one subject doesn' mean they are ready for advance classes in all subjects. and even within one subject like say math a student can love algebra but really struggle with geometry. so maybe during the algebra part so the student doesn't get bored they can do extra work or harder problems or even help teach it (to make sure they completly understand it) but i don't think they should skip ahead in math just because they excel at one area.

In addition to academics a student grows alot socially during school so before skipping grades its also important to realize how the student does socially and how that will be impacted if they skip a grade. I definitly think each student should be challenged and not be forced to do things they all ready know backwards and fowards but sometimes things need to be repeated so they have a deeper understanding and it shouldn't be rushed. in waiting they also learn patience which is a valuable life skill so yeah thats my say in it hehe
Back to top Go down
Cia Klivian

Cia Klivian

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:23 am

I suppose I see what you mean, but that's only the case in a public school/class environment Smile Homeschoolers don't usually have social issues (I know, of course, that some do no matter what) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.anautumnday.blogspot.com
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 2:46 pm

yeah what i was saying was reguarding someone in a public or private school. as in homeschooling i could definitly see moving up if your ready too as long as the studnent complelty understands the material then yeah for homeschooling i can definitly see moving up a grade etc since you do work at your own pace and can work longer than someone else and be able to finish quicker.

My whole arguement against moving up in a grade was meant for a school enviornment it completly changes reguarding homeschooling sorry i should of clarfied that more
Back to top Go down
Cia Klivian

Cia Klivian

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 4:09 pm

That's okay. Smile I actually think in some cases kids are ready mentally and are definaely mature enough to move up a grade or grades even when they're in public/private school. It really all depends on the person, I think. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.anautumnday.blogspot.com
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 4:43 pm

in some cases maybe but in my opinon its done way to often education shouldn't be a race and in some cases it seems like it is there are several factor that need to be consdiered before moving a student up and i think the best place for them to learn is with studnents thier own age not with kids much older than they are i can see them taking a certain subject in a higher class or a special program but the most of their studies should be in the age level classroom they are supposed to be in again this is just my opinon
Back to top Go down
Leia Organa
Founder
Founder
Leia Organa

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 pm

I was offered once back when I was in public schools to move up a grade or two and the same with homeschooling, but I never did because... I don't know, I didn't feel like I wanted to move ahead at a faster rate. I think it really just depends on the kid, the parents, and the situation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.organamajor.blogspot.com/
StarWarsForever

StarWarsForever

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

This month was huge for me in terms of collage. I applied to my collage of choice and got accepted. I'm very excited that in the fall I will be studying graphic design. Anyone else been accepted into collage or has already been to collage??
Back to top Go down
http://robynlindenmayer.com
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm

AWSOME CONGRATS starwarsforever. right now i'm in community college studying early childhood education. and going crazy its my first semester taking 5 courses (all academic) and i am wishing i took only 4 hehe but i'm anxious to get it done with to move on to state college and graduate soon hehe
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I got some letters in the mail from Baylor University and Carson-Newman today. Does that count?
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
StarWarsForever

StarWarsForever

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm

jedigirl1990 wrote:
AWESOME CONGRATS starwarsforever. right now i'm in community college studying early childhood education. and going crazy its my first semester taking 5 courses (all academic) and i am wishing i took only 4 hehe but i'm anxious to get it done with to move on to state college and graduate soon hehe

Awesome Jedigirl1990! How many years of schooling are you taking before you graduate? I'm sure all that hard work will pay off in the long run! Smile

allishmalli wrote:
I got some letters in the mail from Baylor University and Carson-Newman today. Does that count?

Totally Allishmalli! Are you planning on going to collage in the fall? I haven't heard of those collages.

My program is two years to complete and I'm lucky that the school is near where I live. Very Happy If any of you want to see some of my work check out my website and my Facebook Page, I have some of my work featured in both places! Smile
An aspiring graphic designer trying to make her way throughout the galaxy! If you want to see my work, you can visit my website or facebook page. If you enjoy my work feel free to join me on either one and leave a comment. I love getting feedback! Smile
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SimplyCreativebyRobyn
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:45 am

StarWarsForever wrote:
jedigirl1990 wrote:
AWESOME CONGRATS starwarsforever. right now i'm in community college studying early childhood education. and going crazy its my first semester taking 5 courses (all academic) and i am wishing i took only 4 hehe but i'm anxious to get it done with to move on to state college and graduate soon hehe

Awesome Jedigirl1990! How many years of schooling are you taking before you graduate? I'm sure all that hard work will pay off in the long run! Smile

An aspiring graphic designer trying to make her way throughout the galaxy! If you want to see my work, you can visit my website or facebook page. If you enjoy my work feel free to join me on either one and leave a comment. I love getting feedback! Smile

I honestly have no idea i have going to school off and on since fall 2008 so its been a while so hopefully i think i'm almost done with community college (for my AA degree) then on to the state university for my bachalor's hehe. again Congrats that is awsome best of luck with your furture plans
Back to top Go down
StarWarsForever

StarWarsForever

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 am

jedigirl1990 wrote:
StarWarsForever wrote:
jedigirl1990 wrote:

I honestly have no idea i have going to school off and on since fall 2008 so its been a while so hopefully i think i'm almost done with community college (for my AA degree) then on to the state university for my bachalor's hehe. again Congrats that is awsome best of luck with your furture plans

Awesome! I hope you get your AA and your bachalor's degrees! Thank-you for the kind wishes! Smile

Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 am

thanks Smile and of course you are more than welcome i'm sure you will do fantastic
Back to top Go down
AlynaJoe13

AlynaJoe13

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm not technecally out of high school yet, but I'm enrolled in my community college too. I'll actually already be able to have my AA degree when I graduate high school. I've already applied and been accepted to the college I plan to go to after I graduate. Very Happy I'm excited. I'll be working with animals!
Back to top Go down
StarWarsForever

StarWarsForever

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 pm

AlynaJoe13 wrote:
I'm not technecally out of high school yet, but I'm enrolled in my community college too. I'll actually already be able to have my AA degree when I graduate high school. I've already applied and been accepted to the college I plan to go to after I graduate. Very Happy I'm excited. I'll be working with animals!

That's awesome!! Congrats AlynaJoe13! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AlynaJoe13

AlynaJoe13

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:12 pm

that is soo cool congrats Alyna best wishes with your future plans
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:25 pm

StarWarsForever wrote:
allishmalli wrote:

Totally Allishmalli! Are you planning on going to collage in the fall? I haven't heard of those collages.

Um... no. I still have two years of high school left. Those letters were basically "advertisement letters", meaning they're just trying to get me interested in their college for when I actually do start applying. Btw, Baylor is in TX and Carson-Newman is in TN.
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Kayla
VIP Member
VIP Member
Kayla

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

So what is the normal college age? And what do you do at college really? Does college take a long time? Do you have to move away from home to do college? What is the advantages of college vrs no college? What do you have to do to go to college?

Heck sorry if I am being ignorant and annoying but I really just want to know!
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 am

Kayla225 wrote:
So what is the normal college age? And what do you do at college really? Does college take a long time? Do you have to move away from home to do college? What is the advantages of college vrs no college? What do you have to do to go to college?

Heck sorry if I am being ignorant and annoying but I really just want to know!

Hey don't worry you are not being ignorant let me see if I can answer your questions

Normal college age i guess is around 18 or once you graduate high school but really you can go anytime I know adults who are going back to school

What do you do at college?
Pretty much its school you choose a major like mine is early childhood education and then they give you a list of courses you have to take to fulfill that degree. right now i am at community college working for my AA degree once i get that i am moving on to a state universtiy for my bachalors

long time?
It depends you choose how many classes you take and when so i t can take several years usually it takes 4 years but it depends on how long you want it to take

do you have to leave home?
Alot of people do, Right now i am in community college so i still live at home, most universties have dorms or housing units you can move too, really depends on your choice and how far the university is

advantages
Going to college advances your education and depending on what you want to do in life its important because some employers require college eduacation others it will give you an advantage over other applicants
disadvantage
it takes time and money

to go to college you have to finish high school (or GeD) apply and get accecepted, apply for finanical aid (since its costly) and then go to classes

Hope this helps Kayla
Back to top Go down
Kayla
VIP Member
VIP Member
Kayla

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 am

Wow. Yes that helps a lot, thanks.

So, you can't like, get a job with out going to college?
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:26 am

I wouldn't say you absolutly can't but depending on what you want to be sometimes its required other times just not having it makes it difficult. and you tend to get paid more if you have a college eduation
Back to top Go down
Kayla
VIP Member
VIP Member
Kayla

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:32 am

*thinks* Oh my. O.O It sounds kinda important!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rachel-is-a-Jedi
Moderators
Moderators
Rachel-is-a-Jedi

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

I'll put this into the discussion, since this is what I'm working towards right now:

Good ACT/SAT scores are a great help to getting scholarships. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachel365photo.blogspot.com
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 am

haha good point rachel it definitly helps and i definitly wish i did take the sats or acts but didn't but at least things worked out but excellent point they are extreamly important

and good luck on them Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody college age/applying to college?   Anybody college age/applying to college? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody college age/applying to college?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next