Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors

Go down 
+3
Winter Celchu27
Amaranthine
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Empty
PostSubject: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 am

My favorites are
1 Jude Watson (she's so AWESOME!) I love all the books I've read by her; they are some of my favorite books ever! She writes Obi-Wan, in my opninion, the best(I know, I've probably already said that Wink)
2 Matthew Stover(he's so AWESOME too!) I love the two Star Wars books I've read by him and looking forward to reading his other works! His ROTS novel was purely amazing as was Shatterpoint. Mr. Stover sure has a great grasp of character.
3 Karen Miller. I love the three Star Wars books she's written(minus the whole Taria disaster). They are so good and if Taria didn't exist the books would be higher on my list(Wild Space is pretty high on the list).
4 Kevin J. Anderson - Because he co- wrote Young Jedi Knights with his wife, Jessica Moesta, of course!
I also really like: Jessica Moesta, Nancy Richardson, James Luceno, Sean Stewart, Drew Karpyshyn, Sean Williams, Paul S. Kemp, Steven Barnes, John Jackson Miller, Greg Bear, Michael Reaves, and Timothy Zahn.

My least favorite are
1 Karen Traviss- Her novelization of The Clone Wars film was okay(though I wish she'd went into other people's minds besides those who didn't like the Jedi) as was "Hard Contact." However I really didn't like 'Triple Zero" and and I'm not fond of 'No Prisoners."
2 David Sherman and Dan Cragg - The authors of "Jedi Trial" which I wasn't all that impressed with- Anakin was soooo out of character.
Back to top Go down
http://writing-reading-acting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=20
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:58 am

XD

My favorite are:

1.) Karen Traviss (sorry). I loved her Republic Commando series and her additions to LOTF. Last time I checked, she was the most prolific adult Star Wars author(most Star Wars books written) beating out even Timothy Zahn.(Jude Watson's series aren't counted as adult canon, that's why she wasn't in the running). I don't think she wins anymore though, because she retired from SW books about a year ago.

2.) Aaron Allston. celebrate He's pretty funny and writes good plot lines.

3.) Elaine Cunningham. As far as I know, she's only written one book, but it was really unique and romantic. (NJO Dark Journey, probably the closest thing to a SW romance novel that exists.) Razz

4.) Matthew Stover. I loved Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor especially, cause it was so....weird XD.

5.) Greg Keyes

Least favorite:
1.) James Luceno(NJO, Death Star, Millenium Falcon)(I think)
2.) Kathy Tyers(Truce at Bakura, some NJO novels)
Back to top Go down
http://www.amaranthineforever.blogspot.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

Location : Coruscant: the Jedi Temple where I train with Obi-Wan, Siri, Shaak, Qui-Gon, and Anakin. Naboo, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Narnia, The Four Nations(water, earth, fire, and air), Sunnydale, Storybrooke, Fairy Tale World, in the TARDIS, in the Survey Corps, in the Impala, Sherwood Forest, at Camp-Half Blood....and where ever the wind takes this young Jedi. (I actually live in the U.S)

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Good list. I too like Aaron Allston(from what I've seen of his writing, he seems good).

I'm looking forward to Matthew Stover's "Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor", I've heard some really good things about it and it's my Matthew Stover, so I'll most likely like it Smile

Back to top Go down
Winter Celchu27

Winter Celchu27

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:23 pm

I actually don't read any Star Wars books, but I'll go ahead and list some favorites anyway. Razz

Favorites:

Aaron Allston
Timothy Zahn
I just like them because I met them at Fandays and Timothy created Mara Jade. Razz

Least favorites:

Michael P. Kube-McDowell. That guy wrote Before The Storm. That book isn't recomended to read. Just ask Ley. I don't even wanna tell you what weird things was in that book. The characters were also VERY out of character as well.. XDD
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Good list, Timothy Zahn is a favorite of mine as well (cool that you got to meet them! Smile)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

Favorites:
Timothy Zahn
Aaron Allston
Troy Denning (depending on the book)

Least favorite:
Kevin J. Anderson
Karen Traviss (she killed Mara -nuff said!)
Back to top Go down
Jedi~Chick
Admin
Admin
Jedi~Chick

Location : Hanging with my fellow X-Wing Pilots in a Rebel Alliance Briefing...

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Agreed on both DHS!!!!!! Very Happy

I also like Mike Stackpole. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.2yourselfbetrue.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I like Stackpole too, though I haven't read much by him.
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 am

Though i haven't read much EU apart from jedi apprentice and jedi quest series my favortie authors are
-Jude watson- definitly my favorite
-Karen miller- Love her Gambit series
-Timothy zahn (though i only read one book of his)
-Karen Travis (kinda i don't like much how she potrayed obiwan and a few other characters but her books in general were okay)
-Matthew stover (I only read his rots novel but it was outstanding so yeah he makes the list too Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Endless-Skyway

Endless-Skyway

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:12 am

My favourite(s): Troy Denning, Aaron Allston and Christie Golden.
My not-so-favourite(s): Michael A. Stackpole (for the one reason that he wrote the Dark Tide duology).
Back to top Go down
http://www.starwarsjaina.blogspot.com
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am

Yeah! That Dark Tide duology sucked!

Yay! I have the same first two favorites as you. Aaron Allston is hilarious.

What's up with all the Karen Traviss hate? Surprised. She's so funnyyyyy. And she had to die sometime. Surprised there's no risk of none of the characters ever die. :O
Back to top Go down
jedigirl1990
VIP Member
VIP Member
jedigirl1990

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 am

she is okay but in the clone wars series i just didn't like the way she sometimes potrayed bail and obiwan I mean the overall book was good but the characters were a bit out of character in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Jedi~Chick
Admin
Admin
Jedi~Chick

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm not so keen on Karen Traviss. XD

I LOVE AARON ALLSTON. XD He's awesome and hilarious.

Skyway, try the X-Wing books!!!!! Stackpole wrote those and they were AMAZING. I haven't read the Dark Tide books, so I don't have an opinion on them. XD

Troy Denning is pretty good too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Endless-Skyway

Endless-Skyway

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:19 am

I'll check out the X-Wing series - I'm already planning to leap on Mercy Kill the moment it hits stores here!

Troy Denning ain't just good - he's brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Jedi~Chick
Admin
Admin
Jedi~Chick

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I've already preordered my copy of Mercy Kill!!!!!! Very Happy I AM DYING FOR THAT BOOK TO COME OUT!!!!!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

The reason I don't like Karen Traivss is because I don't like her dislike of Jedi; in my opinion, she writes them wrong and makes them out to be completely corrupt. I also don't like some of her opinions on Obi-Wan(I don't like it when people say mean things about my favorite character).
She's a good writer and writes the clone characters well(I really liked Darman), I just wished she didn't hate on the Jedi so much.
Back to top Go down
Amaranthine
Admin
Admin
Amaranthine

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

The Jedi are always made out to be awesome good guys in the other books, and she has a new and interesting perspective. Very Happy I also thought that a lot of her arguments made sense.

The whole Jedi vs. anti-Jedi debate is long and philosophical and we could argue all day on it, XD, but I didn't even know about the anti-Jedi thing until before I read her books, so I'm thankful to her for making it a lot more interesting. XD
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 am

I agree, that argument would go on and on and on(I got into a debate about that once and it went on for a long time). I respect your opinion on the matter Smile
Back to top Go down
Endless-Skyway

Endless-Skyway

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 3:18 am

Personally, Amaranthine, I prefer the Jedi as the good guys!
Back to top Go down
kandykan

kandykan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 am

My favorite authors are Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Kathy Tyers, Elaine Cunningham, Matthew Stover, and James Luceno. So many of my favorite characters were created by Zahn! (I'm another one of those super huge Mara fans.) I love Stackpole's X-Wing books and I, Jedi! I agree that the Dark Tide duology wasn't Stackpole's best work, but compared to some other weird Star Wars books I've read, it was pretty good.

My least favorite authors are Troy Denning and Karen Traviss, mostly because of the Legacy of the Force series. I did like Denning's Star by Star and Traviss' Republic Commando series though.
Back to top Go down
http://kandykan.tumblr.com
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 pm

I love Matthew Stover and I also really like Timothy Zahn, and James Luceno(I haven't read that many of the post-ROTJ books since I'm working my way through the stories chronologically, though I have read some like the YJK and JJK series as well as some of the NJO books). I also really enjoyed Star by Star Smile
Back to top Go down
Endless-Skyway

Endless-Skyway

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 am

I liked Star by Star too - I loved the H/L in it (I have Recovery in it as a prologue - I have the softback - and Anakin's death was so well written. I'm thinking of experimenting with writing it a different way, though.
Back to top Go down
Jedi~Chick
Admin
Admin
Jedi~Chick

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

Star by Star made me cry. xD It's so sad!!!!!!!!! And Recovery was excellent Skyway, I really liked it. My mom loved it way more though, LOL Wink

Kandykan, YES. ANOTHER PERSON WHO LIKES THE X-WING BOOKS. asdklfjfaslkd;jfasjdfkla The X-Wing series is so incredible. I absolutely adore it. Wink

I'm excited for CVI, I'll be meeting Zahn, Allston, and maybe even Denning!!!! Very Happy I seriously hope I can. I'm going to get Aaron Allston to sign my copy of X-Wing: Mercy Kill. Very Happy I think I'm going to go get that today!!!! *SQUEE* Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am

Which Star Wars authors will be at CVI? I might want to go and get an autograph from some if any of my favorites are there Smile
Back to top Go down
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala
VIP Member
VIP Member
SiriKenobi-ShenaTokala

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm

My favorite Star Wars authors are- Jude Watson, Matthew Stover, Kevin J. Anderson, Karen Miller(at times), Drew Karpyshyn, Jessica Moesta/Nancy Richards, James Luceno, Timothy Zahn, Sean Williams, Paul S. Kemp, and Greg Bear.

My least favorite are Karen Traviss, David Sherman, and Dan Cragg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors   Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite and least favorite Star Wars authors
Page 1 of 1