Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Wars Spin-Off Films

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

Star Wars Spin-Off Films Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars Spin-Off Films   Star Wars Spin-Off Films Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Rant time!!!

Ok, so for a little while, we've known that Disney is planning spin-off Star Wars films. But now, they have directors for these new films...

I don't know about y'all, but I don't want these spin-off films at all (hey, that rhymed)! To me, it may sound like a great idea because 1) people get more Star Wars films and 2) Disney gets more money from box office profits and merchandising ("Where the real money from the movie is made"). But, at the end of the day, I think it's a bad idea. I think that Disney's over-saturating the market for Star Wars films and making Star Wars, as a series, weaker in some respects. Films can either be good or bad and if there are somehow more bad films than good, then the entire series is hurt, especially since a lot of SW still hate the prequels (Sadly, I can see why). I can understand (somewhat) wanting to make/watch three official films/Episodes in the series, but this extra stuff is completely unnecessary. The fact that these spin-offs are going to be origin stories makes me… less interested in a way. With only six/nine (or even just three since the PT was pretty much all back-story) official films/episodes (plus two TV series), it leaves room for fans to speculate what the origin of this particular character, thus creating more interest in the series. Plus, if you really wanted to, there are probably books, comic books, and/or Wookieepedia to give you an origin story for a particular character. But having origin-story movies right in front of you sucks away all of the wondering, the speculation, and the mystery of a particular character, plus any potential creativity that comes from not knowing everything about a particular character. Sure, character development (which can and probably will be incorporated into these films) is a good thing and some-what necessary for people to get invested in characters and movies. But laying it all out there in extra movies, while possibly entertaining, is, at the end of the day, just… boring.
At the end of the day, I’m fine with nine movies (if these new ones are good), but having spin-offs is completely unnecessary and detrimental to the series as a whole.

Anyone agree? Care to speak your opinions on the matter? Well, that’s what this topic is here for.
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Films   Star Wars Spin-Off Films Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 9:12 am

I think at this point we don't know enough about the spinoff movies to be able to say.

I'm fine with the idea of spinoff films, mostly because after what Disney has done with Marvel, I trust them with Star Wars.

I think that the origin stories have the potential to make certain characters more interesting. Like Boba Fett. Sure I think he's cool, but I never really got the craze about him, because we only got a few minutes of him and hardly any dialogue at all. What we saw of him in the Clone Wars was an excellent start, in my opinion, and since that story sadly never got finished because of the show's cancellation, the movie has an opportunity to pick up where Clone Wars left off. (Also, I doubt that they would include any Clone Wars characters in the movies, but . . . Hondo Ohnaka on the movie screen!!! Now wouldn't that just be so freaking awesome?!)

I think that certain aspects of the characters should be left for interpretation, but I am perfectly fine with origin stories. So far when Star Wars has expanded upon a character about which little is known, they have done a good job. Darth Maul's role in The Clone Wars comes to mind. I know some people wanted him to stay mysterious, but I personally liked how they expanded on his character, and by the end I felt like we knew more about him, yet he still retained just a bit of that mystery.

I guess it really depends on which characters they pick. I would love to see a movie about Boba Fett or Darth Maul or maybe even Han Solo, because those are interesting characters and I think that a movie could do interesting things with them, and I think a movie about any of those would be exciting to watch. But a movie about, say, Chewbacca, would feel like a bit much to me. I'm also not sure I want a movie about Yoda, since I feel like he is the one character who maybe should keep that mystery.

I think at this point we can't say too much, because we don't know enough about these spin offs, but I think it has the potential to be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Films   Star Wars Spin-Off Films Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 1:10 pm

I heard a rumor that there may be a spin off film in the works for Obi-Wan!
Back to top Go down
http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Films   Star Wars Spin-Off Films Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Spin-Off Films
Page 1 of 1