Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comic Books

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 pm

For all the comic book fans! Very Happy

Actually, I really started this topic because I need some help. I'm very new to comics and I want to get serious about reading them but I have no clue where to start. Could someone please give me some good starting points?

I'm mostly interested in Marvel, although a friend of mine told me that most independent comic books are very good too so if you have any good independent comic book recommendations that would be great too.

I'm most interested in Captain America, The Avengers, Spider-Man, and Deadpool, but I'm open to anything Wink I would also like to start out with a more recent comic book (preferably 2000s).

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://attackofthespaceturtles.tumblr.com
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Sorry, I don't think I can help with that. I have a ton of my dad's old comics, but they're from the 70s.

I will just comment and say that the old Harvey comics from the 70s (probably earlier than that) are awesome!!! My favorite comic is Ri¢hie Ri¢h.
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Keirbott

Keirbott

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Well, I don't read much Marvel and I'm pretty new to comics myself, but Deadpool is one of my favorites, so I'd start off with the Cable and Deadpool series. Comics are always kind of confusing to jump into because of all the continuity and characters, but what I try to do is just look up characters I don't know on wikipedia or something just to get an understanding of their background.
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:22 pm

That's so cool Allishmalli! Smile My dad has a bunch of those too! They're really fun!

Thanks Keirbott! I'll keep that in mind! Wikipedia has become my best friend Wink
Back to top Go down
Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Location : Gallifery... Naboo... New York? Fine... Northern California

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 pm

You've come to the right place!!

I started getting serious about comic book reading and I went to a store and some workers kind of explained a bit and my Dad and I found some.

There are so often new series coming out, so go to a comic book store and find some issue #1 comics of series you are interested in. Smile And often that can be hard, I myself found it difficult now to find starters when I walk into the comic book store recently. Also if you want comics from the 2000's comic book stores have collections. Like several comics into one book. Try to find series at the comic book store of those that look good. Get those books to catch up on, but they don't have the first very often. :( I have yet to actually find 1, but Amazon.com will have them!

I hope this helps! If you have any questions let me know. I was where you are right now so I know where to look. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks Spidey!!!! I really appreciate your advice!!! Smile

We don't have a comic book store in town, so it's pretty hard to find comic books. They have a bunch at our bookstore, but everything there is really messy and unorganized, and so far we've only been able to find single issues and not any collections, though who knows, there may be some buried somewhere, and I'll definitely keep an eye out. We FINALLY found Doctor Who on DVD, and it was in the anime section Razz That's how messed up our bookstore is Razz

Whenever we go shopping in bigger cities, though, I'll definitely load up on comic books from Barnes and Noble! We went the other day and I took your advice and looked through the new releases and I actually found one that's the first in the series. It's called like Secret Avengers #1 or something like that. It's Hawkeye and Black Widow, and it's pretty awesome so far Very Happy I also looked through the collections and picked out a Spider-Man one, Ultimate Spider-Man: The World According to Peter Parker: Volume 1. Though apparently there was still some comic series that came before it because in the book the mention stuff from the previous series, but it's nothing that Wikipedia won't help Wink Anyways, I'm really enjoying them so far!!! I'm going to run out of money really fast though if my addiciton keeps up. . . XD

Thank you so much for helping me!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy What are some of your favorite comic books so I can keep an eye out for them?
Back to top Go down
Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Ooh yaay!! Enjoy those! I need to make a run to a comic book store... The one I go to doesn't seem best for starters but the other one closer to home seems to be but... I don't like going into that one... all the workers are the stereotypical overweight guys in their 30's living in their parents basements comic readers and I'm a tiny pretty girl so I feel uncomfortable... I'd like to get into more series because I'm not finding the ones I'd like to continue on.

GAH I WANT TO READ THOSE COMICS!!! Must... Go... Comic... Shopping...

I like to read the Doctor Who comics, they have the 11th Doctor ROry and Amy. (Of course). This Captain America one I Started but I can't find the rest of them... Web of Spider-Man, oh and I picked up a couple of Arrow ones! (Green Arrow TV Series). Oh and I LOVE Avengers Civil War but the only way to get that is on Amazon. The hardback comes with the script and some other fun exclusives but the paperback is just the story.

If I didn't have to save money for camp... I'd go comic shopping...
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks! Smile Oh yeah, I know how that is! The other bookstore we used to have in town got closed because the guy who owned it got arrested . . . some of those places are kinda scary.

That's really cool! I'll have to look for those! What's the Captain America one called? Smile

LOL I totally know how that is! I had all this money saved up but it's slowly disappearing every time I make a trip to Barnes and Noble Razz
Back to top Go down
Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Spidey_Timey_Skygirl

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Think Geek took my money... I get my reward Saturday so I look forward to Saturday. XDDD

It's just called Captain America I don't remember seeing a special title. I need to go to the creepy comic book store and that should have what I'm looking for... the other one is more popular and busy.

I save money for things like clothing, well I did buy clothing off ThinkGeek... so it went to what I'm saving for...
Back to top Go down
allishmalli
Moderators
Moderators
allishmalli

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey, does anyone read comic strips from the newspaper? I do! I actually collect the Sunday comic strips and I've been doing it since 2009. Although, I am missing quite a few issues from 2009-2011, I have almost every issue from 2010 and 2011, every single issue from 2012, and every issue from 2013 so far.

My favorite comic strips from my newspaper are (in no particular order) "Zits", "Foxtrot", "Blondie", "Peanuts", "Nancy", "Grande Avenue", "Baby Blues", "For Better or For Worse", "Pickles", "Garfield", "Curtis", "Red and Rover", "Beetle Bailey", "Close to Home" and "Marvin".

Surprisingly, there are more comics in my newspaper ("Dilbert","Farzz", "Arlo and Janis", "Get Fuzzy", "Hagar the Horrible", "Doonesbury", "Broom Hilda", "Lola", "Prickly City", "Tiger", and "The Fusco Brothers"), but I don't read them very much.

I also have a comic-strip app on my phone. My favorite comics on there are (in alphabetical order) "Archie", "Bizarro", "Bleeker: The Rechargeable Dog", "Crankshaft", "Dennis the Menace", "Dog Eat Doug", "Dustin", "Family Circus", "Hi and Lois", "Mallard Fillmore", "Speed Bump", and "Zack Hill"

So, does anyone else read the comics from the newspaper?
Back to top Go down
http://allisonspears.weebly.com
Kayla
VIP Member
VIP Member
Kayla

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Wow, that's neat Alli!!! I don't do that, I don't even think my family gets the newspaper Razz Sounds fun though. Smile

Comic books are incredible, I'd love to read some Marvel one's if they fall in my lap, but I'm not really reading any right now. I do have a Captain America comic book I got from my grandma's basement, I think it's an original. XD
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

That's very cool Allishmalli!!!!! I don't read the newspaper much, but whenever I do I like to look at the comics. My very favorite is Peanuts, which I actually have several big books of, but I enjoy most of the other comic strips in the paper as well.

That is so neat Kayla! Very Happy LOL I'm jealous XD

I finally got to go to Barnes and Noble the other day, so I made sure to stock up on comic books and also pick out some that I would like to read later. One book that I'd heard a lot about was Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon, so I got that and it is so good!!! Very Happy I really like the artwork, and it makes me love Hawkeye even more!

I'm also dying to read the Captain America Dimension Z series. I can't find issue 1 anywhere, so I decided to wait until the volume comes out, but it doesn't come out until June and the wait is killing me because that series sounds so amazing.
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 12:10 pm

I've been reading some good comic books lately! Very Happy I finally got ahold of the Captain America Dimension Z series and it is probably my favorite so far! So amazing!!!!!!!! And sad!!!!!!! And can I just say how much I absolutely HATE Sharon now? Razz

Another favorite of mine is the Hawkeye series that's going on now, which is completely amazing! I really love it!

I've been trying to find comic books at the libraries in town. They actually have a few, but not many. I got Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Captain America: Man Out of Time, some other Captain america and X-Men ones, and I just finished Infinity Gauntlet, all of which were awesome!

I also got some Avengers and TMNT comic books for my birthday, all of which were also good Smile

I love comic books so much!!! XD

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm probably going to get really into X-Men soon. I haven't read many yet, but I found this great guide on this website that shows you all the best X-Men comics and good places to start, so I'm looking forward to reading some of those.
Back to top Go down
Duchess Satine Kenobi
Admin
Admin
Duchess Satine Kenobi

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Loki: Agent of Asgard oh my gosh

I wasn't even going to buy it, because I like Loki but I don't like him THAT much, but I opened it out of curiosity and on the first page Loki is singing "The Wizard and I" and I was sold XD It was so good!!! And funny! And I love the whole thing about Loki trying to make up for his wrongs. And all the brotherly fluff between him and Thor Smile And there was a nice twist ending! I'm definitely looking forward to next issue! This was probably the biggest surprise I've had from a comic book that I didn't think I'd like.

I'm hopelessly behind on Captain America. And Avengers A.I. I need more comic books!!! Ahhhhh

A few months back I got a volume of Avengers Assemble called Science Bros. Well, anything science bros is fantastic, and this book definitely did not disappoint Very Happy I'm going to have to read more Avengers Assemble.

I also got Captain Marvel, which I haven't finished yet but am really enjoying! She's such a cool character!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comic Books
Page 1 of 1